Saturday, April 9, 2011

Moon Gazing; First Night Out

Tonight was the first night I started moongazing.  I decided not to try any sketches tonight, but instead just allowed myself become familiar with the equipment.

I have this Jason 335 Comet Chaser.  It has a focal length 600mm, diameter of 76mm and a Dobsonian mount; nothing to write home about. I used a 20mm lens and a lunar filter.  I also tried a Barlow lens but I believe that it only magnified the image without adding definition.

This telescope belongs to my father but he has not used it in years so I thought I would put some good use to it.  I have found virtually no information about this telescope on the web.   I would like to learn about lens care or any other useful information.  I know Jason is part of Bushnell but there is no mention of Jason anywhere on the Bushnell site, lease I can find.  If anyone knows anything about this yellow orange Japanese made hobby telescope, please let me know.

The Dobsonian has this tiny little tripod.  I did not have a good table to put it on, so at first I was on the ground.  The moon was setting into the northwest where there is a tall line of trees from my driveway.  I had to move the telescope numerous times just to keep my view from being obstructed.  In frustration I eventually decided to take the scope down to the local park.

Finally things were interesting.  I found a picnic table with a clear(ish) view of the northwest horizon.  Even though I was only meters away from some bright sodium street lights I discovered with pleasure that they did not interfere with my ability to see the moon.

In spite of all this I had trouble viewing detail.  I was able to make out The Sea of Crisis and the Sea of Fertility. I could see some craters as well but my lunagraphy is not adept enough yet to identify them, even with a field guide.  Part of my trouble is the telescope and partly haze.

Despite difficulties I think this was a good first night and I look forward to doing it again.  Next time I will post sketches I promise.


1 comment:

  1. I have one of these little rascals, and it is indeed difficult to find any information on them. They aren't exactly pieces of high optical precision, but can be made to work decently. First thing to look at is collimation. Many articles on collimation out there. Next thing to look at, is to make sure the secondary mirror hasn't shifted from where it should be. I had this problem with the one I have. Other than that the mount seems adequate, the stock eyepieces the same. FYI some of my 1.25" plossls will work in this scope, you unthread the 1.25" barrel from the plossl, and it will screw right in to an adapter that should be floating around your scopes inventory. I recently did a write up on my blog www.evidencebasedreality documenting the secondary mirror placement. This write up, has more info than I have seen anywhere.

    ReplyDelete